Thursday, September 28, 2017

24 miler

Today I did 16 miles down yet another deserted beach to Horsfall Beach, where I took a taxi to save 25 miles of road walking through North Bend and coos Bay.  It dropped me at seven devil's recreation area, way out in the middle of nothing, where I rejoined the beach for an 8 mile walk to Bullard's Beach SP.  I had to hustle to get around some rocks before  they were inundated by the tide but hardly got my feet wet.  There was alsoo a one mile walk from the beach to the campground.  I'm in the hiker/biker camp with a couple from Chicago who are biking from Portland to somewhere in California
And a dreadlocked guy from Olympia who's cycling south, maybe Mexico.  Rain is coming tonight or tomorrow so I've set up my tent carefully.  I'll save taking a shower for morning.  If it's dreary I won't want to be leaving soon anyway.  I had lots of soft sand today, and a headwind.  Had some soft footing yesterday too but nothing like today's. Man, it really slows you down.  I distracted myself by trying to compose a Limerick about it but the muse wasn't there so I have nothing to inflict on you.
Feeling good, blisters no problem.
Today's taxi driver.  You talkin' to me??

bridge over Coos Bay


Food lockers with solar powered charging stations.  Only in the hiker biker camp and only a $5 fee to stay.

It is so nice to have a table.

1 comment:

  1. Fun to get home from the Rogue (great trip) and catch up on your coastal journey. Smart move skipping some of the road sections by hitching rides and taxi cab. They're no fun anyway and that's the point really. Good luck continuing to the border.

    ReplyDelete