Friday, September 29, 2017

67 miles to go

I'm basking in the afternoon sun on a wild beach just north of Floras Lake, which is near Langlois, down around Cape Blanco and Port Orford.  I dragged into here after 23 miles, lots of it on loose sand.  It might have even been more loose stuff than yesterday but at least I didn't have a headwind.  If you looked at the track of my  footsteps it would show a snaky line all over the beach as I looked for the elusive hard sand. The day started in drizzling rain and continued that way until about 12:30. The rain on the tent last night was no problem and my shower at Bullard's Beach this morning was great. It was not great going over the bridge across the Coquille River.  There is no shoulder, the  guardrail is low and not built where it's easy to hold and the traffic was very fast.  I pushed the button to activate the lights indicating a person or bike was on the roadway but I couldn't tell it made any difference in the speed of the traffic.  I had to awkwardly grab the rail several times to avoid being blown off balance by passing cars and at least one log truck. Was really glad when I got to the other side!  So far that's winning the most unpleasant experience prize for this trip.  I hope I have no other nominees for that category.  It looks like I have only around 67 miles to go before my goal of reaching the California border. Piece of cake!
It must have been a great honor to ride on the Cranberry Court float in the Bandon parade!  Now the float sits forlorn in a nondescript parking lot outside of town.  Below shows me on the rainy beach starting out from Bandon's south jetty.  The sand was nice and hard there for several miles so I'm naively smiling.  Other pics show the prime real estate of this evening's camp.  



2 comments: